PINC (FOR WOMEN) & STEEL (FOR MEN) CANCER REHABILITATION
The PINC and STEEL Cancer Rehabilitation Programmes were developed by New Zealander Lou James, an experienced physiotherapist, Pilates clinician, former NZ triathlon representative and trustee of the PINC AND STEEL CANCER REHABILITATION TRUST. Initially, Lou started the program to help women recovering from breast cancer surgery and treatments. However, as research shows, exercise therapy is a very important component in recovery from a cancer diagnosis and the effects of its treatment and therefore the program today has evolved to assist both men and women recover from all cancers. Hence the names “Pink Pilates” designed for women and “Steel Pilates” designed for men.
WHAT DO THESE REHAB PROGRAMMES INVOLVE?
- Breathing techniques
- Fatigue management
- Exercise Programmes which involve Cardio, Whole Body Vibration, weights, pilates and yoga
HOW DO I GET STARTED & TAKE THE FIRST STEPS TO RECOVERY?
Once you contact us we will book you in for your first session, which will be an hour in duration and the following sessions will vary from 30-45 minutes depending on what your treatment requirements, goals and energy levels require.
WHAT ARE THE COSTS?
All patients with a diagnosis of Cancer are eligible to obtain a referral for up to 5 Medicare subsidised Allied Health Visits per year from their GP who will need to set up a Care Plan – this will rebate you $52.95 per treatment. (See FAQ – do you accept Care Plans).
If you have Extras cover on your Private Health Insurance we can process your payment on the spot and then you will only have to pay the gap. (see FAQ – Private Health Insurance).
We also have gift vouchers available for any of the services in our clinic, so that family and friends can support men or women they know through the programme.
Lastly, the newly founded PINC and STEEL Cancer Rehabilitation Foundation of Australia is taking funding applications and fundraising to help make these services accessible to as many Australians as possible.
The PINC and STEEL Cancer Rehabilitation Programmes provide a range of services designed to look after you following cancer surgery and cancer treatments. All women and men with cancer are eligible to participate in these Programmes, from the newly diagnosed to those who may be 25 + years down the track following their initial cancer diagnosis. We understand that there are many variables which may exist that will decide which type of service and exercises can be done in the programme and they are dependent upon your physical condition, the type of surgery you have had and the healing process involved. As such, the PINC and STEEL Programmes have been formatted into three phases with a different focus at each phase:
1. POST OP PHASE
- assist in the healing process of clients who are recently post surgery or undergoing treatment
- restore strength and flexibility to particular joints and muscle groups that have become weak and inflexible as a result of surgery
- incorporate breathing techniques and gentle exercises modified to maximise recovery from surgery
2. RECOVERY PHASE
- help improve energy levels and general well being during cancer treatments by managing fatigue
- restore post op flexibility and strength
- focus on stretching and strengthening exercises for the upper body, as well as including workouts for the lower extremities, abdominal strengthening and spinal stability.
3. FITNESS PHASE
- facilitate overall conditioning
- increase physical stamina, cardiovascular fitness, strength and flexibility
- increase endurance, elevate the metabolism and improve muscle tone and body composition.
- include workouts for the upper and lower extremities, abdominal strengthening and spinal stability
- motivate and encourage good exercise habits for life.
Key Benefits of the PINC and STEEL Programmes
We work with you to get you back to your life - your family, your work and your activities.
Recapture strength, flexibility and confidence in your body
Alleviate pain and muscular strain
Develop bone density
Improve sleep and reduce fatigue
Enhance mood and ease anxiety
Regain self confidence and improved self esteem
Boost energy and fitness levels
Gain valuable knowledge of new exercises to help prevent & combat health conditions & diseases
INTERESTED IN PINC AND STEEL?
GET IN TOUCH